The Last Enchantment: For My Daughter Zara - With Love ! !-- Ne

The Last Enchantment

Friday, January 12, 2007

For My Daughter Zara - With Love !


O Lord, let me be a burden on my children
For long they've been a burden upon me.
May they fetch and carry, clean and scrub
And do so cheerfully.

Let them take it in turns at putting me up
Nice sunny rooms at the top of the stairs
With a walk-in bath and lift installed
At great expense.....Theirs.

Insurance against the body-blows of time
Isn't that what having children's all about?
To bring them up knowing that they owe you
And can't contract out?

What is money for but to spend on their schooling?
Designer clothes, mindless hobbies, usual stuff.
Then as soon as they're earning, off they go
Well, enough's enough.

It's been a blessing watching them develop
The parental pride we felt as each one grew.
But Lord, let me be a burden on my children
And on my children's children too.

6 Comments:

She's beautiful. You did good on her.

And I like that peom. How do you think it'd work for me? I could be set for the rest of my life.

1/12/2007 6:21 pm  

You'd think one day I'd learn to effing get the words right.

poem...sorry.

1/12/2007 7:33 pm  

Mum's looks : dad's brain (or lack of). You should be fine with 7 kids!

The poem is by Roger McGough - one of the original Liverpool "beat" poets.

If you ever need a proof reader let me know.

M.

1/13/2007 8:46 am  

She's lovely. She has a very wise and knowing look in her eyes.

How's things with the Wizard these days?

1/13/2007 4:13 pm  

Thanks for the offer.

I think faster than I type. I normally get it right on the second pass, but when posting in forums or blogs I hardly ever give it a second go. Hence the misspells.
I may take you up on that though one day.

1/13/2007 7:36 pm  

Shmoop,

She has " a wise and knowing look" because she knows she can get as much money as she wants out of me !

But I guess that's what beautiful daughters are for - to indulge.

"The Wizard" is suffering from some kind of apathy at the moment. So many things to do and I can't seem to get enthusiastic about any of them.

I think this is normal for January ; I seem to wake up around March 1st every year (which is St. David's Day in Wales).

Must be your birthday soon ?

Take care,

M.

1/14/2007 7:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home