The Last Enchantment: Merlin Begins Search For New Woman Shock ! !-- Ne

The Last Enchantment

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Merlin Begins Search For New Woman Shock !


The happiest moment in a womans life
Is when she hears the turn of her lover's key
In the lock, and pretends to be asleep
When he enters the room, trying to be
Quiet but clumsy, bumping into things,
And she can smell the liquor on his breath
But forgives him because she has him back
And doesn't have to sleep alone.


The happiest moment in a man's life
Is when he climbs out of bed
With a woman, after an hour's sleep
After making love, and pulls on
His trousers, and walks outside,
And pees in the bushes, and sees
The high August sky full of stars
And gets in his car and drives home.


David Lehman (1948 - )

7 Comments:

Geez. And here I thought you were getting all sorts of mushy.

Poor plant.

3/21/2007 7:59 am  

Fooled you. I can get mushy if I want to but I just loved this poem ; it's so typically me somehow.

In a way I'm serious though. I think it's time to think about "settling down" again (whatever that means).

It's been fun (considering that it started as genuine tragedy) but I have a feeling that my eligability is going to run out in the next few years so I need a 25 year old nubile before it happens.

M.

3/21/2007 8:06 am  

Merlin, I was thinking it was going to go to extra time before Ronnie's penalty. And I hold my hands up to closing my eyes as he took it.

Roll on Watford! I'm hoping to get tickets to go down to The Villa to watch the match.

3/21/2007 1:18 pm  

Karen,

It's not impossible that I'll be there too.

The corporate hospitality grapevine is working overtime.

You've got to hand it to Ronaldo ; he's cool. I never doubted him for one second.

M.

3/21/2007 1:27 pm  

OK, so you are looking for a woman? Or did I read that wrong? Settling down? Sounds serious. I hope it's not contagious. I'd better get vaccinated against it. :-p

3/22/2007 7:44 pm  

That was romantic in a strange sort of way...hummm...it's very poetic!

3/22/2007 8:14 pm  

Mailyn,

Yep....time to settle down again. I've spent 4 years living with my teenage daughter and it's been great fun most of the time but I need someone to help keep my bed warm at night. You're not much older than 25 are you..........(only joking).

Hi Jax,

I know what you mean. On the surface it's sexist but there's something kind of affectionate about it. David Lehman and Rebecca Lu Kiernan are my two favourite poets (not that I read that much poetry ; it's not really "man's stuff" is it ?)

M.

3/23/2007 1:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home