The Last Enchantment: For Ferfe : "When The Going Gets Weird........" !-- Ne

The Last Enchantment

Monday, April 02, 2007

For Ferfe : "When The Going Gets Weird........"



"Never lose sight of the primary responsibility. But what was the story ? Nobody had bothered to say. So we would have to drum it up on our own. Free enterprise. The American dream. Horatio Alger gone mad on drugs in Las Vegas. Do it now : pure Gonzo journalism.

There was also the socio-psychic factor. Every now and then when your life gets complicated and the weasels start closing in, the only real cure is to load up on heinous chemicals and then drive like a bastard from Hollywood to Las Vegas. To relax, as it were, in the womb of the desert sun. Just roll the roof back and screw it on, grease the face with white tanning butter and move out with the music at top volume and at least a pint of ether. "




"Oscar was not into serious street-fighting, but he was hell on wheels in a bar brawl. Any combination of a 250 lb [113 kg] Mexican and LSD-25 is a potentially terminal menace for anything it can reach - but when the alleged Mexican is in fact a profoundly angry Chicano lawyer with no fear at all of anything that walks on less than three legs and a de facto suicidal conviction that he will die at the age of 33 - just like Jesus Christ - you have a serious piece of work on your hands. Especially if the bastard is already 33 1/2 years old with a head full of Sandoz acid, a loaded .357 Magnum in his belt, a hatchet-wielding Chicano bodyguard on his elbow at all times, and a disconcerting habit of projectile vomiting geysers of pure blood off the front porch every 30 or 40 minutes, or whenever his malignant ulcer can't handle any more raw tequila."

- Hunter S. Thompson, Rolling Stone #254, Dec. 15, 1977

9 Comments:

Why do I know this? Scratching my head. I remember that. Or am i just whacko?

Don't answer that.

4/02/2007 1:56 pm  

Hunter S Thompson, Johnny Depp Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas visual. It's like the only JD movie I haven't watched because I've never been able to stomach Thompson.

4/02/2007 3:09 pm  

Eva,

I'm keeping quiet.

Discretion is the better part of valour (allegedly).

M.

4/03/2007 12:07 am  

Ann,

Johnny Depp was probably the worst piece of casting I can remember in the entire history of Hollywood.

M.

4/03/2007 12:09 am  

Depp did an awesome job as Thompson. Murphey (who should have been a perfect match) played it to light.

::Getting all nostalgic::

Love those books. He used to write for the San Juan Star. They sent him off into the mountains to search for the last enclaves of voodoo canibalism. How can you not love a man who would take on an asignment like that?

4/03/2007 5:50 pm  

I'm keeping quiet.

Discretion is the better part of valour (allegedly).


Brat.

4/03/2007 7:41 pm  

Ferfe,

There was a brief discussion in The Cage a few weeks ago about whether people visualised characters in books or not.

I have a mental image of Raoul Duke and it's not Johnny Depp. (Maybe Jack Nicholson ).

For you Depp worked : for me he didn't.

But yeah - I loved Thompson to death and I must dig out The Great Shark Hunt : I was probably too young to appreciate some of the political aspects when I first read it.


Eva,

You told me not to answer the question : I didn't.

I was only obeying orders.

M.

4/04/2007 12:14 am  

You didn't like Johnny? I didn't like the movie in general actually.

4/05/2007 11:18 am  

Hi Lillian,

Long time - no see.

I guess I agree with you.

Loved the book ( my personal bible) : film just felt flat.

M.

4/05/2007 11:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home